2/01/2012

Vietnamese Beer


Vietnamese Beer, originally uploaded by Patrick Cowsill.
I have 333 or Saigon Beer in the background and Bia Ha Noi in the foreground. The latter is from northern Vietnam, up Hanoi way. This is the first time I've seen it in Wanhua (萬華), Taiwan or anywhere else for that matter. Wanhua, of all places, is starting to show an Asian-cosmopolitan side. I bought all three of these cans (for NT$35 = US$1 apiece) from a Vietnamese sub sandwich shop I frequent in Nanjichang (南機場) Market, which is operated by a friendly and cool looking Taiwanese man married to Vietnamese woman. The slice of white in the lower-right corner is the piece of paper he kindly slid under my iPhone when I took this shot upon buying the cans.

BTW, Nanjichang (南機場), which means South Airport Market, was the site of Taipei's airport during the Japanese colonial era, hence the name. I've been planning to write about this for some time. I'll follow up pretty soon.

No comments:

Tropic of Cancer Taiwan

  The Provincial Highway 9 Ruishui Marker (above) marks the Tropic of Cancer, 23.5 degrees on the northern latitude, in Taiwan. The spot was...