11/05/2008

Obama Wins



Answering an invite from the Democrats Abroad Taiwan, I hurried over to the Brass Monkey Pub in Taipei with a colleague on my lunch break for beers and a bit of celebration. The place was fairly full and everyone was soaking up Obama's victory speech: "There is not a liberal America and a conservative America - there is the United States of America. There is not a black America and a white America and Latino America and Asian America - there's the United States of America." He said we should also be inclusive of gays and disabled individuals at that time.

McCain gave a nice concession speech. Some of the people were anxious about taking Arizona, but I figured "let McCain have it". He got stuck with a lot anger that should have been directed at Bush. I'm happy Obama won; I was thinking about something I heard an African-American scholar say on the radio this morning. This guy is one hundred years old and was reminiscing about what an adviser had told him in the early 1930s: "America will never be a democratic country until a 'negro' is president". I'm not one to stand in the way of history; and I know that Obama's victory will probably take a long time to sink in because it is, simply put, so wonderful. But McCain has honorable qualities. It's too bad he's getting lumped together with Bush.

Here I'm just linking: Undergoing MyBlogLog Verification

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are happy Obama wins,and so am I. Now that he won the last landslide victory, undoubtedly, it is the time for him to change America, and help us get out of financial tsunami. Let's wait and see what happens in the future.

Anonymous said...

I thought you were staunchly McCain. It looks like people are riding the bandwagon and you are one of them.

Tropic of Cancer Taiwan

  The Provincial Highway 9 Ruishui Marker (above) marks the Tropic of Cancer, 23.5 degrees on the northern latitude, in Taiwan. The spot was...